Sometimes one of the toughest decisions to make when you are moving is what to do with your houseplants. Some of your choices are:
- To give them to friends as a remembrance
- To donate them to a local hospital, nursing home or library
- To offer them at a garage sale
Pre-Planning is Key
As with the rest of your household goods, moving houseplants to a new home involves pre-planning. Whether you have only a few houseplants or dozens, there are decisions to make:
- Whether to move them yourself
- Whether to take every plant, only favorites or just cuttings to start new plants
- When to arrange for any necessary state inspection
- When and how to start preparing plants for the move
You must realize it’s possible that not all houseplants will withstand a move in spite of every precaution. There’s no one to blame – it’s simply the nature of the plant.
Movers will not move plants due to state and federal regulations, therefore the owner must find an alternate way of transport if keeping the plants are in their plans.